Intent: I am proposing that I kick-off a monthly blog on topics of interest in military cyber operations.
Proposal: Specifically I propose that I write a monthly bog entry (aimed at one page or so in length) – the range of topics would be deliberately left open. This blog would not be tied to a specific position, but strictly to my personal perspectives on topics of interest in cyber. The blog would be posted in an appropriate location on CMCEN and would include a ability to provide comments and drive discussion. I do not see this as a blog originating from any formal authority – the intent is to write as a practitioner, rather than any type of authority, in this space. Although I feel strongly there would be value in a “Cyber Commander” blog, or similar, I am not proposing that at this time. Such a blog would fall to others to execute.
Requirements: Although the majority of the effort for this activity would be on my plate to drive, it would also require the following:
- Support from CMCEN web staff for set-up and potentially occasional technical support
- That is all.
Value: Beyond the personal value of a focus for a sustained professional writing output I believe that such a blog would provide value to the C&E community in the following ways:
- A direct link between military cyber operations and the C&E brand.
- Potential for increased engagement of the cyber community.
- Potential for increased traffic to, and relevance of, the CMCEN website to a component of the C&E community.
- Provide an opportunity for discussion of topics of interest for professional development.
- Selfishly I hope to encourage others to follow – wouldn’t a series of blogs on topics of interest to the broad C&E community be a great resource to provide our soldiers and aviators?
Risks: Although I believe the risks are overall low and should be accepted – here are the key risks that I see in the activity.
- The largest risk is that this just doesn’t engage any interest. In which case the low entry costs would have been wasted.
- There is a risk that the blog enters into delicate territory as it would rest in an unclassified and openly published space. I believe the risk of this is low.
- There is a risk, as there is in any professional discussion, that comments posted in response to the blog may trend to the inappropriate and hostile. As a mitigation to this risk I would intend to review (and respond to) comments posted to the site. Should this become impossible the back-out plan is simple.
Decisions: I am looking for two decisions from this group.
- Is the C&E Branch satisfied that this activity should proceed.
- Will the C&E Branch support the use of CMCEN.ca as the vehicle/location for the blog.
- What coordination would be desired between the C&E Branch and DND/CAF Public Affairs entities? Should IM Gp Comms be consulted? For which components?
Next Steps: Should the C&E community choose to accept this proposal the next steps would be to establish the site and post the first entry.