Exercise NOBLE SKYWAVE 2020 (Ex NS 20) successfully concluded this year during C&E Week. The competition verifies our tertiary means of intercontinental communications using HF sky-wave propagation. Over the years, the exercise continued to increase in scale and prominence with more domestic and international teams registering to compete. This year, a new record of 190 teams from across the globe participated, and attempted to establish comms with the greatest amount of HF stations under various conditions in a competitive format.
Ex NS 20 welcomed participants from multiple Canadian units spanning the Regular and Reserve Force as well as representatives from the United States, the United Kingdom, Latvia, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, Romania, and Germany.
The winner this year is awarded to the Signal Platoon of the 2nd Battalion – The Royal Canadian Regiment, currently deployed overseas in Latvia as part of the enhanced Forward Presence Battle Group (eFP BG) for Operation REASSURANCE. The Colonel Commandant and Branch Leader extend an enthusiastic congratulations for your remarkable technical skills and competitive spirit! The trophy will be engraved with 2 RCR Signal Platoon in the coming days.
The top ten teams are as follows along with a visual snap-shot of successful radio checks captured over a 15-minute timeframe during the height of the exercise.
- 1st Place: eFP BG Signal Platoon – Latvia
- 2nd Place: 34 Signal Regiment – Westmount, QC
- 3rd Place: 35 Signal Regiment – Quebec, QC
- 4th Place: 8 ACCS – Trenton, ON
- 5th Place: QGET 5 GBMC – Valcartier, QC
- 6th Place: US 85-NETCOM G-3/5 HF – Fort Huachuca, AZ
- 7th Place: UK01, 31 Signal Squadron / 71 Signal Regiment – London, England
- 8th Place: CFJSR – Kingston, ON
- 9th Place: DE01, 1st Combat Comms Sqn – Ramstein, Germany
- 10th Place: US28, 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group – Eglin, Florida
Well done to all. Thank you for your determination, professionalism, and effort in making Exercise NOBLE SKYWAVE a continued success. VVV.